The Blog of Jonathan White, a trainee Librarian from Derbyshire. Aimed at people who are just starting out in public libraries or are considering a career in them.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

"It's all about stamping books isn't it?"

"Definately not!" I said to a friend recently when quizzed on my choice of career. During my trainee year with Derbyshire I was involved in many projects across the county and East Midlands region as a whole.


One of my favourite projects was being able to work on the What Are You Upto Tonight website. This website is maintained by public library authorities in the East Midlands region working together. It is a website aimed at 16-24 year olds and is designed to encourage reading and the use of libraries without overtly being about libraries. I added many reviews of new books to the site and after reading Luke Rhinehart's The Dice Man I decided to write a page on his dice books for the site. The article is called The Dice Life.


I consulted with local teenagers to find out what they wanted from the library service. This led to the creation of a new area within the library for them and the setting up of competitions and a Games Workshop event.


I was also given the opportunity to co-research and author a report for the management team, which will influence future policy.


Of course currently I am involved in a project which is completely different again! I am now helping to organise and run ICT literacy sessions in library learning suites.


The possibilities for team working both within the libraries department and with outreaching to work with other groups are enormous within public libraries. There are also plenty of opportunities for ambitious young librarians to reach middle and senior management level as well. Why not look at the CILIP guide to becoming a library professional?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home